Thursday, August 7, 2008

Remembering

This week has definitely put me into a reflective mood...
Our 30th wedding anniversary on Tuesday.
Today is August 7th....the day each year that reminds me of God's plan for my life....the anniversary of losing Anthony (27 years ago); the anniversary of Beth's final adoption hearing (21 years ago) and the anniversary of the day we brought Michael home (16 years ago). All of them were on a Friday....more than a mere coincidence.
This year I am realizing this week that another stage of my life is beginning....menopause.(my apologies to the few guys who read this!)
It's a strange feeling....it's not that I'm going to miss the monthly cycle and all that it entails. But it does signify the next stage of my life and it represents the final door closing on the possibility of another baby. I was thinking the other day that if I live to be as old as my grandmothers (one was 91 and the other was 92), I will spend more of my adult life in menopause than before....strange thought. Of course, who knows what our dear Lord has planned....

Our anniversary on Tuesday made me look back and think about all the dreams Mark and I had on our wedding day.....all the dreams that have come true......all the ones that we've had to let go of.......all the dreams that have changed into new dreams.
On Tuesday evening, the song "Moon River" kept going through my head and so I hit youtube and found Andy Williams singing it and played it over and over....that really took me back to my childhood. My mother loved Andy Williams and Perry Como (Andy Williams grew up here in Cincinnati during his teen and young adult years and my mom used to work at an ice cream shop and he would come in and she would serve him). Their music would often be drifting through our house. I have old records and new CDs of their music and whenever my parents come over for dinner, I play them and I also play them when I'm in a reminiscent mood. When Mark and I were in our 20's, Perry Como was still touring and on three occasions he came to Cincinnati and we would buy tickets and take my parents to his concerts. They loved it and so did I....though often Mark and I were some of the youngest people there.
I always think their music is so beautiful and romantic.
So in my sentimental mood, I've been digging out music that I have from my childhood and torturing my children playing it at home and in the car....it's amazing how it brings me this peaceful, wistful, happy feeling....

A blessed, joyful day to you all....may you enjoy the peace that only He can give....

No comments: